Starting a business platform online is a lot of work. It is not easy, as said. Fortunately, there is a bundle of e-commerce platforms that can make things easier for you. Each platform has unique features, strengths, and weaknesses.
Of all the options available out there, WooCommerce and Shopify are the most preferred solutions. However, choosing one among them depends on the individual requirements of a business, but choice making will become easier if you know about the two in detail. So let’s dig deeper into these e-commerce platforms.
WooCommerce – A Detailed Overview
A popular WordPress plugin, WooCommerce, is of an ideal option for the ones who already have an account on WordPress. Its freemium model comes with several add-ons and themes and offers the benefit of hosting to the users. With this plugin, you can easily include additional features to your online platform without paying extra. You can integrate this plugin in your existing online store setup in easy five steps.
- It offers multiple payment gateways options, including COD, PayPal, Stripe and more.
- It comes with an advanced Reports option that allows the online sellers to keep track of the reviews, incoming sales, store performance, and inventory.
- Flat rate or free shipping along with secure tax settings, including tax rates and multiple tax classes.
- The plugin can upsell and cross-promote the products.
- It is integrated with usage limits, user reviews, and various discount options.
WooCommerce – Advantages
- It features user ratings and reviews.
- Perfectly organized online reports classified by coupons, date, category, and product.
- It is one of the free plugins that allows WordPress users to save money, which is otherwise required to run even the basic functionalities of e-commerce stores.
WooCommerce – Disadvantages
- New users who don’t have a WordPress account need to create an account for hosting, downloading, installing, and setting up the plugin to run their e-commerce platform.
The pros of WooCommerce outweigh its cons. So it can be considered as a worthy option to start your online business. Moreover, this solution offers the benefit of setting up a demo environment for testing the platform’s working before making it available for the customers.
Shopify – A Detailed Overview
A self-hosted online store solution, Shopify allows the prospective online sellers to build their store within a few minutes. You don’t need any additional plugin or software for its installation. However, you won’t be facilitated with any free plan, but it comes at an affordable price. It has good selections of add-ons and themes, which is a plus.
Shopify can be considered as an effortless way to create and run your online store at minimal upfront costs. Sign up, choose one of the free themes, list your products, and voila it’s done! The selected theme is customizable according to the unique needs of the business.
- Extensive selections of themes on the platform as well as on its Envato Marketplace.
- Mobile-friendly and responsive design.
- Users can use a domain name of their choice.
- Its website builder option lets users customize their store’s appearance.
- It comes with a blogging option for prospective sellers.
- Well-organized reports and detailed website analytics.
- Integrated with email and social media marketing.
- Discounts options, product variations, and review options available.
Shopify – Advantages
- Shopify facilitates its users with free hosting. You can put up your products for sale once you are done with signing up for the platform.
- Its SEO capabilities are better comparatively, notably the average page loading time
- No price to be paid for the SSL certificate.
- It allows users to leverage social media sharing and promotion of both the website and the product.
Shopify – Disadvantages
- Unlike WooCommerce, it offers only three product variations.
- Shopify sellers can define their products according to material, color, size, etc. but they can’t create unlimited product variations.
Shopify is a perfect option for the ones who are new to the e-commerce world and looking forward to starting their online business from scratch. The platform’s beginner-friendly design allows sellers to set up their store instantly and reap the benefits of available advanced features.
The Final Verdict
For the ones who don’t own a website already and looking forward to starting their e-commerce business instantly, then Shopify will prove out to be a better option as you can create a platform at affordable monthly charges.
However, if you are on WordPress already and want better control of your website through customization while facilitating your target audience with unrivaled customer experience, then WooCommerce is the right key for you.
In a nutshell, it can be said that both Shopify and WooCommerce are potent options for running a mobile-friendly and modern online store. It is best to measure the features, pros, and cons when choosing an e-commerce platform for your online business.
Our team of experts is just a click away. Connect with us and we will build your custom eCommerce website at the best price.